HOT SHOOTING LEADS MEN’S BASKETBALL IN UPSET OVER NO. 10 CAMPBELLSVILLE
Contact: Billy Mangum, Sports Information Director, 770.426.2833
Waleska, Georgia, January 18, 2019 – The Life University Men’s Basketball team used a strong second half run to pull off the 82-68 upset over No. 10 nationally-ranked Campbellsville University in their Mid-South Conference matchup Thursday night, January 17. Life U improved to 13-7 (3-1) on the year, while Campbellsville fell to 16-3 (2-2).
• Evan Milligan led the way for the Running Eagles offensively with 24 points and nine rebounds. He added an assist and two blocks.
• Deven Dorsett also finished in double figures with 16, along with six rebounds and two assists.
• Connor Gamble and Tory Ferguson each added 11 points on the night. Gamble was 4-5 from the field with a pair of steals as Ferguson was 3-5 from behind the arc and finished with six assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Campbellsville led 10-9 early in the game after the first four minutes of play; however, Life U responded with a 6-0 run that was finished by a pair of free-throws from Dorsett two minutes later to lead by five, 15-10.
• Life U led 20-15 with 11:24 left in the half, before the Running Eagles exploded with a 14-0 run that included four connections from deep. Ferguson hit two as Gamble and Milligan added one each to give Life U a commanding 34-15 lead with 7:20 on the clock.
• Campbellsville cut the lead to eight, 38-30, with two minutes on the clock, as Milligan scored in the paint for the final points of the half in favor of Life U. At the break, Life U led 40-32.
• Ferguson connected from deep once again four minutes into the second half to put Life U ahead by 10, 49-39.
• An 11-2 Campbellsville run was finished by a three from Adams to cut the lead to one, 53-52. With 11:57 on the clock, Campbellsville again kept the game at one, 55-54. Four minutes later, Life U still held a two-point lead, 66-64.
• A 9-2 run from Life U was finished by a deep three from Milligan as the shot clock expired to put the Running Eagles ahead by nine, 75-66 with 2:37 on the clock.
• In the final seven minutes of the game, Life U outscored Campbellsville 16-4 as Gamble connected from deep at the 1:22 mark to finish the scoring for both teams. Life U used the late offensive run to pull away with the 82-68 upset over Campbellsville.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Life U finished 30-60 from the field, 50%, while Campbellsville shot 25-60, 41.7%. The Running Eagles finished 10-22, 45.5% from beyond the arc, as the Tigers went 10-32, 31.3%.
• Life U held the advantage in turnover margin over Campbellsville 14-7 as the Running Eagles scored 17 points off the turnovers.
• Life U shot 12-15, 80%, from the free-throw line as Campbellsville finished 8-9, 88.9%.
• The Men’s Basketball team will return to action on Sunday, January 20, as they continue Mid-South Conference play and host No. 6 nationally-ranked Georgetown College at 2:00 p.m.